Samuel P. Nielson
Samuel P. Nielson is Senior Counsel with our firm and is a tenacious and polished advocate. He has worked on both sides of the fence, initially with an international defense firm before joining the employee rights firm Sessions & Kimball LLP. Sam also externed for the Honorable Andrew J. Guilford of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Sam has varied litigation experience in both federal and state courts through single plaintiff and class action lawsuits. He currently represents individual employees from all walks of life, from senior executives to minimum wage earners, in pre-litigation negotiation, administrative hearings, and has taken multiple plaintiffs to verdict in trial.
For the past six consecutive years – from 2013 to 2018 – Super Lawyers Magazine has named Sam a “Southern California Rising Star” in Employment Litigation. He has a perfect 10/10 rating from the online legal referral service Avvo, and a “BV – Distinguished” peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell. The National Advocates, a companion organization to the National Trial Lawyers, twice recognized Sam as one of the “Top 40 Under 40” attorneys practicing in California. In 2013, he received the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Services from the California State Bar. And his legal work has been recognized nationally in Employment Law360.
Sam currently serves as the International Section Chair for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society’s Employment and Labor section. He previously served as Co-chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Education Committee, overseeing continuing legal education programs for the bar association’s more than 9,000 members. Sam has also been a member of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society’s Board of Directors, a member of the Orange County Bar Association Labor and Employment Section’s Executive Committee, and a mentor to law students at the University of California, Irvine, School of Law. Sam is a graduate of the University of Iowa College of Law and Brigham Young University.
Sam’s interests include running, reading, martial arts, and competitive ballroom dancing. More than anything, Sam loves spending time with his wife and young children.
University of Iowa College of Law, JD (2010); Brigham Young University, BS, magna cum laude with University Honors (2007).
Admitted to practice before all California state courts; US District Court, Central District of California; US District Court, Northern District of California; US District Court, Southern District of California.
Orange County Bar Association; Labor & Employment Section of the Orange County Bar Association; J. Reuben Clark Law Society.
- Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Star, Labor and Employment Law (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018) (honor limited to 2.5% of attorneys in the state)
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services from the California State Bar (2013)
- Chair, International Employment and Labor Law Section – J. Rueben Clark Law Society (2016 to present)
- Board of Directors – J. Rueben Clark Law Society (Orange County Chapter) (2015 to 2016)
- Education Committee Co-Chair – Orange County Bar Association (2015 to 2016)
- Executive Committee Member – Orange County Bar Association Labor & Employment Section (2012 to 2016)
- Writer – Iowa Law Review
- Volunteer, Supervisor, and Trainer for an international non-governmental organization in Belgium and France
- BV-Distinguished peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbel
- Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers by The National Advocates (2015)
Sam’s articles and commentary have appeared in various publications, including The New York Times, Michigan Law Review: First Impressions, Rutgers Law Record, The Desert News, and The Salt Lake Tribune. His first book, A More Perfect Union (262 pages), was published in 2017. In addition, his legal work has been recognized nationally in Employment Law360.
Contact Us Today
Schedule a free and discreet consultation in person with an attorney today.