Riverside Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious issue that can have a profound effect on those who experience it. Not only can it lead to a hostile work environment, but it can also result in lost wages, job loss, and emotional distress. If you believe that you have been the victim of sexual harassment, it is important to understand your rights and options under the law. Contact our Riverside employment lawyers for help.
Workplace Sexual Harassment – What Is It and What Are the Two Types?
Workplace sexual harassment is a type of discrimination that occurs when an individual is subjected to offensive, unwelcome, or unwanted sexual comments, advances, or conduct. Sexual harassment in the workplace can occur between co-workers, supervisors and subordinates, or customers and employees.
There are two types of workplace sexual harassment: quid pro quo and hostile work environment. Quid pro quo sexual harassment occurs when an individual’s employment status is made contingent upon their submission to or rejection of sexual advances. A hostile work environment is created when an individual is subject to offensive, unwelcome, or unwanted conduct that is so severe or pervasive that it creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.
Some examples of quid pro quo sexual harassment include:
- A supervisor offering an employee a promotion in exchange for sexual favors
- A supervisor transferring an employee to a less convenient office because they refused to engage in a sexual relationship
Some examples of conduct that could create a hostile work environment include:
- Unwanted physical contact (e.g., hugging, kissing, groping)
- Lewd comments or jokes in your presence, no matter who they’re directed at
- Displaying sexually explicit images
- Making repeated requests for dates after being told no
The Role of a Sexual Harassment Attorney in Workplace Investigations
If you find yourself in the position of having to file a sexual harassment claim against your employer, you may be wondering what role a sexual harassment attorney will play in the investigation. An attorney can provide invaluable guidance and support throughout the investigatory process. Here are three ways a sexual harassment attorney can help:
- Determine whether to file a formal complaint
If you come to your attorney with allegations of sexual harassment, the first thing they will do is sit down with you and determine whether filing a formal complaint is the right course of action. In some cases, it may be possible to resolve the issue informally without involving HR or going through an official investigation. However, in other cases, it may be necessary to take more formal action to ensure that the harasser is held accountable and that appropriate steps are taken to prevent future incidents from occurring.
- Advise you on how to proceed with the investigation
If you do decide to file a formal complaint, your attorney will advise you on the best way to proceed with the investigation. They will also be able to provide guidance on how to deal with any roadblocks that may arise during the course of the investigation, such as uncooperative witnesses or a resistant HR department.
- Help you obtain evidence and build your case
One of the most important roles your attorney will play is helping you collect evidence and build your case. This may involve subpoenaing documents, taking depositions, and interviewing witnesses. Your attorney will also be able to advise you on what type of evidence will be most persuasive in front of an investigator or judge.
Why You Should Hire Sessions & Kimball For Your Sexual Harassment Claim
If you have been the victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, it is important to know that you are not alone. There are many laws in place to protect you from this type of discrimination, and there are experienced attorneys who can help you fight for your rights. Hire Sessions & Kimball because:
- Sexual harassment cases are delicate and often emotionally charged. They require an attorney who is not only knowledgeable in the law but also compassionate and understanding. At our firm, you will find all of that and more.
- We have the resources and manpower to take on even the most complex cases.
- We get to know you and your story so that we can tell it in the most effective way possible. We are committed to getting you the justice you deserve.
If you believe that you have been sexually harassed, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.