What can employers do to stop sexual harassment in the Orange County workplace. Here is my top ten list:
- Display the poster required by law advising employees about discrimination and their options.
- Distribute an information sheet on sexual harassment to each employee.
- Include an effective policy regarding harassment, discrimination, and discipline in an employee handbook.
- Regularly train employees on the subtleties of discrimination and ways to prevent it.
- Prohibit discriminatory comments or jokes, especially of a sexual or ethnic nature.
- Institute a non-fraternization policy between management and those they supervise.
- Fairly enforce policies required by law and those you have instituted.
- Don’t retaliate against victims of harassment in any manner.
- Institute a standard complaint and investigation procedure.
- And lastly, establish and follow a fair and decent dress standard with both sexes to prevent intentional or mis-perceived messages from being given.
The only way to stop sexual harassment in the workplace is when employers take steps to prevent it.
* * *
Don D. Sessions, a Mission Viejo attorney, author and law school professor, helps employees enforce their rights. For questions, call (800) 774-7494 or visit Orange County Employee Rights Lawyer. © Don D. Sessions
Stop Sexual Harassment News
Speaking with students about stop sexual harassment and what to do about it can make young people better equipped to deal with it throughout their lives, and hopefully it can prevent would-be harassers from harassing in school …
Stop Sexual harassment – because it can have lasting and damaging emotional effects on its victims, so it’s best to deal with it immediately to prevent further harm. Take the following hypothetical example: A secretary at an architectural design company begins …
There are no specific actions an employer must take to satisfy the requirement that it take reasonable care to prevent or stop sexual harassment. An employer may satisfy the requirement of reasonable care to prevent sexual …
Here’s the exact language about methods to stop sexual harassment, which presumably includes street harassment since it does not say the sexual harassment must occur in workplaces or schools. Big News – WMATA will Address Sexual Harassment.
Shelter employee alleges sexual harassment in lawsuitNapa Valley RegisterThe male employee exposed himself to one client, grabbed another’s breasts and made sexually explicit comments to the women, the court document alleges. Yet no effective action …